Do Babies Need Sunscreen?
Pediatricians recommend that all children age 6 months and up wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen when they spend time outdoors. A broad-spectrum sunscreen provides protection from UVA and UVB in the environment, reducing the risk of sunburn and minimizing the damage that contributes to skin cancer and future signs of aging.
What Sunscreen Is Best for Babies?
When it comes to sun care
, babies and children have unique needs. Because their skin is so delicate, infants and kids may not be able to tolerate all of the ingredients found in sunscreens formulated for grown-ups. That's why many top sun care brands offer products especially for little ones. Gentle to the skin, yet highly effective, these sunscreens are formulated to make sun care simpler for families. Often, the formulas are water-resistant for swimming, and they come in a variety of easy-to-apply forms like lotions, sticks and sprays.
The Right SPF Protection for Delicate Skin
To ensure that your child is properly protected from the sun, it's important that you select a sunscreen with the right Sun Protection Factor or SPF level. SPF is a measurement of the amount of ultraviolet B (UVB) that a sunscreen protects the skin tissue from.
Most sunscreens for babies and kids have an SPF level of at least 30, meaning that they only allow about 3 percent of the UVB in the environment to become absorbed by the skin, and they reflect or absorb the remaining 97 percent.
Depending on your child's skin care needs, he or she may require a product with more SPF protection, such as an SPF 50 product, which reduces UVB exposure by 98 percent. Your child's pediatrician can recommend the best SPF level for your little one.
back to top »